Rainbow Canadian Flag Heart Quilt

I finished my Rainbow Canadian Flag Heart Quilt yesterday morning and managed to get outside while the light was just perfect for photos. We had fresh snow overnight which made for a beautiful white backdrop to photograph against.


I have been wanting to try a rainbow version of this quilt since I wrote the pattern last year and I made this quilt with scraps and charm squares from my stash.

This quilt is made with my Canadian Flag Pixelated Heart Quilts pattern found on my website here and on Etsy. The pattern has two versions of the quilt, a heart shaped flag and a flag in a heart. I also sell these quilt as custom orders.

My pattern shows the quilt with a red background but it can be any background colour you choose... even rainbow! Any flag can be substituted for the Canadian flag so long as you know how to make your flag. Some countries such as France and Italy have flags that would be so easy to put into a quilt. I know there are a few Union Jack flag patterns out there too.


It is every bit as lovely as I had thought it would be in my mind and I am so glad I pushed through to finish it this week. This quilt is available for purchase here and on Etsy.


The quilt is 52" square and is backed with Petit Henna Garden fabric in an olive green.



The binding is a black on white Carolyn Friedlander cross hatch fabric that is machine sewn to the front and back of the quilt.


I free motion quilted stippling in the white heart with white 50 wt. Aurifil thread and free motion quilted wavy lines in the rainbow with dove grey 50 wt. Aurifil thread.


The red in the flag was left un-quilted but the leaf is blanket stitched around all edges with 30 wt. Aurifil thread. The red fabric is by Northcott Fabrics and has words to describe Canada on it.


There are still loads of scrap in my sewing room so I guess I better cut out another one. I will be at the Spring Etsy Pop-Up in Edmonton at the Aviation Museum on the May long weekend and I'm hoping to bring a few Canadian Flag quilts along.